Reviews....

I have read quite a few male/male romance novels and as of today, I have never left a one star review. Here's why:

The book would have to be SO bad that I couldn't even finish it. IE: Bad, bad , BAD punctuation and sentence structure, misspelled words...and so on and so forth. Have I read some books that had some missing words? Commas in the wrong place? Sure, did it detract from the story SO much I put the book down? Nope.

I just tried to finish a book that had tons of five star ratings. I couldn't finish it. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't my cup of tea. I was very engaged in it, therefore it captured my attention, it just lost it a little more than halfway through where I thought the story should have ended but it kept going.


So point number TWO: If the book isn't something I would read: BDSM, Sub/Dom, I Don't buy it! Simple as that. If I accidentally bought it because the warning wasn't in place, would I give it a bad review? Nope. It's not my cup of tea, doesn't mean it isn't someone else's.

Writer's have different styles of writing. I would say mine is more playful, so I choose to read authors who have more of my style of writing. I have expanded on that from time to time and have found some great reads that have captured my attention and kept it.

"A Marked Man" was my first attempt, it needs work, I am the first to admit that. Thankfully, it has gone back to the new editor and fixed of all its issues.

I am growing the more I write, I think it's inevitable. You learn from past mistakes and you try, try, again. I think if you are willing to bare your soul by putting something you love out there, you've got balls. I'm not out to have my boys tying each other up and spanking one another, again, if that's your thing then more power to you. I'm just a little 'Vanilla' I suppose. (Although a little spanking never hurt anyone ) But if you like it rougher, then by all means, find an author that gives you that, but don't come down on the author because you didn't get your nipple clamps and gag ball.

I read three one star reviews this morning for an author I read quite a bit of and was in shock. The book in question was one I would have given a four or five star rating. It was wonderfully funny and very engaging and I laughed throughout. Again, not THEIR cup of tea so why a one star?? Baffles the mind...

I will continue to take the advice of one certain author that has helped me tremendously, I owe her quite a bit.

Just venting a bit today....thanks for stopping by!


Comments

  1. I loved your post, as someone who reads all the time I sometimes pick up books that don't work for me too and it also depends on my moods, sometimes I want action sometimes I want emotional but most of the time I like fun stories or romantic ones and I'm a sucker for HEA's. For me to give a lower star rating means I have actually finished the book even if I didn't like it and I always say it didn't work for me but it might for someone else. I've only had 3 so far that I wouldn't finish 1 because the story was not written well and 2 because the editing was horrible and unreadable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm not out to write a Pulitzer prize novel, I'm having fun and I hope it shows in my writing!! Not everyone has the same taste's, if we did, we'd all be boring...lol. Thank YOU so much for all your wonderful reviews of my books! If at anytime I feel like crap about my writing, I only have to read your kind words! I wish I knew all the people who gave me five stars...I'd send them cards..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sign up for a free room at GRL!!!